A licensed Insolvency Practitioner (IP) is a person licensed by one of the Chartered Accountancy bodies, the Law Societies, the Insolvency Practitioners’ Association or the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry. The only person who may act as an office holder in an insolvency. Persons claiming to be insolvency practitioners, but who do not hold a licence may not be able to help you. The status of anyone claiming to be a licensed insolvency practitioner can be confirmed by calling R3 or one of the regulatory bodies listed in Section 11 – Useful Contacts.